Designer Life

If by some miracle I ever become incredibly wealthy, here is my life plan:

But first, music! Some classical to set the tone so you can get the full experience (play this in the background while you read).
 https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYqTZZ2_B42YPzM-QPouoG_dgEUsiXVOu

Now that Dvorak has begun serenading you, let us begin.
My first item of business as an incredibly wealthy man would be to purchase a large expanse of land. Something to the tune of 50 acres (if you've been there, the gardens at Thanksgiving Point in Lehi cover about 50 acres). Preferably in a semi-secluded location, but not too far from a decent sized city. Naturally, at some point, I would end up buying multiple houses around the globe, but probably nothing too crazy, just a few small houses in places I'd like to visit frequently. But that's not the focus of this post. This is about my main ambition as a wealthy goon.

On said expanse of land, I would build a good sized home. Nothing incredibly over the top, but certainly a good size. Right around 10,000 square ft. (but we'll get to why in a moment). I would have the exterior built in an Edwardian fashion. Here are some photos to give you an idea.


And the inside would be designed largely after an Art Nouveau manner.


The reason for my choice of roughly 10,000 sq. ft. is because it will have to look somewhat proportionate to the grounds around it. But also because I intend the largest room of the house to be an ornate library. Something roughly like this idea.
A very cozy place, where I will likely spend large amounts of time. I would also require the house to be as environmentally friendly as possible. Of course, there will be a grand dining hall somewhere in the house, to accommodate many guests. A soundproof music listening room, with an incredible surround system, with a vast music collection to accompany, which will all be located near to the library. Likely a game room and small theater of sorts. Also throughout the house, exquisite marble, paintings, and a few secret passageways! Cause why wouldn't you want those? A handful of bedrooms, with large windows overlooking the gardens.

Yes, the gardens, my personal favorite part. 50 acres is quite a sum of land, which will be covered in flowers, trees, shrubs, small ponds, and many themed gardens. I don't really see the point of being wealthy if you aren't going to build some nice gardens at your home, especially when you have the means to hire a team of gardeners. This is where things can get crazy. I'd have a wonderful secluded "secret garden" in a corner of the estate, a hedge/topiary garden, a maze garden, I'd have to add a produce garden in somewhere, but largely they'd be ornamental gardens. here are a few little ideas that would end up incorporated somewhere in the mix.




Basically, I want the land to become sort of fairytale land. The kind of place where on a midsummer's night you'd expect to round the corner and find Oberon or Puck peacefully listening to the birds chirp whilst the sun sinks in the distance. Also secluded in one of the gardens, I'd have a guest cottage for those who come to visit. Maybe two cottages actually...I have a lot of siblings. They'll have to fight over who stays in the cottages, or the main house. The cottages will be encompassed in their own little gardens, and designed with large glass sections like this.
So as to better enjoy the surrounding gardens. I would make a garden of lights as well. An evening garden you could say; dotted with light strands of all shades and types. Think: Tron meets Christmas, meets lots of trees. 

Periodically, I'd host masquerade balls in the gardens. Hire an orchestra to come out and play for a handful of hours, while we waltz about and enjoy the fresh air. Barbecues would be a regular occurrence in the gardens. I'd certainly allow a few wedding ceremonies here and there. Yeah, basically I'd just spend my days roaming about the gardens in a top hat, reading, daydreaming, sniffing flours, writing, and entertaining guests. Perhaps I won't even need a house, as it sounds like I'd be more or less living in the gardens! 

With my vast sums of wealth, I'd also travel the country buying up dilapidated or abandoned buildings to bulldoze, and properties to reclaim and turn into public gardens; with the goal of providing a beautiful and peaceful place for people to relax at within an urban area. Or perhaps building libraries that have elaborate gardens, so you can enjoy a good read right outside in the garden. At said public gardens, I'd set up a way for the locals to get involved, taking classes from, or interning with the gardeners to learn about the scientific and physical processes taking place there. Also, (this came to mind just now) planting little orchards/produce gardens in poor areas of cities across the world. Sort of a community garden where people can come and with a little bit of work, get fresh food for free. 

When I meet my earthly demise, I'd have them bury me in my favorite area of my home garden, or spread my ashes about, and the estate would become a foundation. The gardens open to all, and the house converted to an art museum. 

Yep, that sounds like the dream to me. Now the mystery is how much money I'd need to make all of this happen, and even more perplexing: how to acquire it.  Guess I should have been born as a European noble in the 16th or 17th century. But here's to hoping for a miracle!


Comments

Popular Posts