On The Road Again

Life on the road would be an interesting one. I'm frightened that if I spend too much time on the road, I'll never come back though. I mean, if you look at musicians, etc. who have spent most of their lives on the road, they have to keep going. Look at Bob Dylan. There's no way he needs money, but he continues to tour the world relentlessly. Certainly he must still enjoy performing, but I bet a big part of it is that he's been on the road for so long that he doesn't know what else to do. Restless feet at home. Then again, with that much time on the road, do you really have a "home"?

Funny thing is I really don't enjoy driving within city limits. It's mind numbing and tedious to me. But cross the outskirts of town, hit that open road, and it's bliss.

All throughout my life I've spent a lot of time on the road. Lot's of family trips to far off camping destinations, visiting relatives, and other adventures. 6hr car rides feel short to me at this point. I've always been entertained by watching the scenery roll past. I've also never understood why people make such a big fuss about packing. I can pack for a trip in 5-7minutes, or about 12 for an international trip. But I guess I have had a lot of practice over the years.

In the next life they'd better have good stats. I want to know how many miles I've driven, flown, walked, etc over the course of my lifetime.

I may never know the mileage I've covered over my whole life, but I've kept a rough tally for the 2.5yrs I've been home from Korea. In the past 2.5 yrs I have driven roughly 31,000 miles (not including city miles), primarily to concerts. I've seen numerous across the west;  shows in Colorado, Nevada, California, Idaho, and of course all over Utah.  For a fun reference, the circumference of the earth is right around 24,000 miles.

In that same 2.5yrs, I've racked up 26,786 flight miles (not including the flight home from Korea).
Flying to Colorado, San Fran, LA, Paris, French Riviera, London, and Edinburgh. I don't enjoy flying nearly as much as driving, but the diversity of destinations are worth the journey.

I guess you could say it's been a busy few years! But to be honest, if I could travel more frequently I would.

Well, It's time to walk out the door and hit the road again.

Comments

Popular Posts